Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
These Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are stuffed with veggies and cheese, making for a great appetizer that’s perfect for all occasions. A great and delicious way for stuffing big mushrooms, simple to make and always a crowd favorite!
- Prep: 10minutes
- Cook: 35minutes
- Total: 45minutes
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (or 8 smaller ones)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups spinach (chopped)
- 4 cocktail tomatoes (chopped)
- ¼ cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Frank’s)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Prep the oven: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prep the mushrooms: Carefully remove stems from mushrooms, reserve and chop the stems for the stuffing. Place the mushrooms stem side down onto a baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the water leaks out of them. Remove from the oven and using paper towels soak up excess water. Set aside.
- Make the filling: In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and saute for a couple minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the green pepper and spinach to the skillet and cook for a couple more minutes, until the spinach wilts. Add tomatoes, goat cheese, salt, pepper, mushrooms stems, hot sauce and breadcrumbs. Stir and cook for an additional couple minutes.
- Stuff the mushrooms: Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture equally. Top with mozzarella cheese. If using smaller mushrooms you should have enough mixture for about 8 mushrooms.
- Bake: Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Any large mushrooms work for this recipe, you basically want to make sure that they have enough room after you remove the stem, to hold your stuffing.
- Don’t soak the mushrooms in water, use a mushroom brush to clean them.
- Don’t skip the step of removing excess water from the mushrooms.
- You can store leftover stuffed mushrooms in the fridge for 5 to 7 days in an airtight container.
- These stuffed mushrooms are perfect for freezing, however, it’s best to freeze them before baking. Freeze them in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1mushroomCalories: 221kcal (11%)Carbohydrates: 20g (7%)Protein: 13g (26%)Fat: 11g (17%)Saturated Fat: 5g (31%)Trans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 18mg (6%)Sodium: 539mg (23%)Potassium: 718mg (21%)Fiber: 5g (21%)Sugar: 5g (6%)Vitamin A: 9532IU (191%)Vitamin C: 25mg (30%)Calcium: 231mg (23%)Iron: 3mg (17%)