Pork Green Chili Stew
This green chili stew recipe is made with lots of roasted green chilies, potatoes and tender chunks of pork simmered low and slow until perfect. So easy!
Course: Main Course, Soup
Keyword: recipe, soup, spicy, stew
Prep Time: 15minutes minutes
Cook Time: 1hour hour 35minutes minutes
Total Time: 1hour hour 50minutes minutes
- 2 pounds green chili peppers of choice I used a variety – see the discussion above
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + more as needed
- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder cut into bite sized pieces (chuck roast is good, too)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth beef broth is good, too
- 1 pound yellow potatoes cut into small cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1/4 chopped cilantro or to taste (+ more for garnish)
- Slice the peppers in half lengthwise and set them onto a baking sheet. Bake them at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until their skins blister up. Cool them slightly, then peel off the skins and discard them. Chop the roasted peppers and set them aside.
- While the peppers are roasting, toss the chopped pork shoulder with 2 tablespoon olive oil, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pot to medium heat. Add the pork shoulder and brown the pieces on each side, about 5 minutes. Scoop the browned pork shoulder into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Add a bit more olive oil if needed.
- Add the garlic and cook another minutes, until you can smell the gorgeous garlic.
- Add the browned pork along with the stock, potatoes, carrots and chopped roasted peppers.
- Bring to a quick boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for at least 90 minutes. You can simmer longer to develop even more flavor.
- When ready to serve, remove from heat and swirl in the cilantro.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with extra cilantro. I like to toss on some fresh pepper slices and spicy chili flakes as well.
Calories: 195kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 14gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 738mgPotassium: 888mgFiber: 5gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 3990IUVitamin C: 112.8mgCalcium: 68mgIron: 4mg