Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Looking for an easy and delicious way to use up all that zucchini growing in your yard? How about this moist and indulgent gluten free chocolate zucchini cake topped with a chocolate frosting. And no, you can’t tell this cake contains zucchini as long as you finely grate it.
- PREP TIME 20 minutes
- COOK TIME 35 minutes
- ADDITIONAL TIME 1 hour
- TOTAL TIME 1 hour 55 minutes
- 250 grams gluten free multi-purpose flour
- 65 grams cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 65 grams neutral oil (like grapeseed oil)
- 100 grams light brown sugar
- 80 grams granulated white sugar
- 225 grams grated, squeezed zucchini
For Chocolate Frosting
- 113 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
- 175 grams powdered sugar
- 30 grams unsweetened cocoa powder, dutch processed
- 2-3 teaspoons milk or heavy cream (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
How to make Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8×8 cake pan with parchment paper and set it aside. Make sure to leave some overhang so the cake can easily be removed from the pan.
- Sift together gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cardamom (if using), and espresso (if using).
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, egg yolk, oil, and both sugars until smooth. Mix in the grated and squeezed zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula until fully combined. If your batter is very dry, allow for it to sit for a minute. The zucchini should start to release some liquid which will moisten the batter. The batter overall will be more on the stiffer side.
- Add the batter to your prepared pan and smooth out with an offset knife or a spoon.
- Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes. The center of the cake will spring back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it from the cake pan. Allow for it to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Chocolate buttercream frosting:
- Cream the butter, vanilla extract/paste, and salt for 2-3 minutes in the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl.
- With the mixer running on low, add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder one third at a time. Make sure to scrape down the sides in between additions.
- Once all the dry ingredients have been added, turn up the speed of your mixer and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add milk/heavy cream as needed to thin out the frosting.
How to assemble your Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Make sure your cake is fully cooled
- Place on a serving plate.
- Top with a generous heap of Dark Chocolate Ganache and spread over the top of the cake.
- Top with chocolate shavings or Mini Chocolate Chips and enjoy!
It might be possible your cake will appear slightly underbaked in the middle when you cut it. This is caused by the moisture of the zucchini. I have tested this recipe several times and every time the middle appeared very moist.
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 280
Leave a Comment