This Hot Cocoa with Espresso Whipped Cream has under 4 net carbs and makes the perfect low carb, keto hot cocoa recipe!
How do you make Keto Hot Cocoa?
This is an excellent base recipe that you can customize based on your taste preferences. It is also extremely easy to add additional fat to in order to make “bulletproof” Keto Hot Cocoa if you wish. This recipe only requires a few ingredients:
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Keto Friendly Sweetener
- Cocoa Powder
- Lilly’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
- Vanilla Extract
- Sea Salt
The addition of the espresso whipped cream only requires a few more ingredients including heavy cream, keto friendly sweetener and espresso. This step is optional, but I love the delicious rich flavor it adds to the hot cocoa. It makes this drink resemble a mocha latte a little bit and adds additional fat.
How do you make Espresso Whipped Cream?
There are two ways to make Espresso Whipped Cream, using a blender or an electric mixer. This recipe makes a small batch of espresso whipped cream, enough for 2-4 cups of hot cocoa, depending on how much you like. I prefer to use my blender because it is quick and easy. Simply combine the heavy cream, sweetener and espresso in a blender and blend on high in 30 second increments until whipped.
Alternatively, you can use an electric mixer with a whisk attachment and beat until stiff peaks form, this takes 4-6 minutes and works best when the bowl has been chilled.
- For the Dark Chocolate Cocoa
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoon Swerve
- 2 tablespoons Lilly’s Sugar Free Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- For the Espresso Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablepoon Swerve
- 1 tablespoon espresso or very strong coffee
- For the Cocoa: Heat all ingredients over medium heat in a small saucepan stirring occasionally until warm. Adjust heat if necessary.
- For the Espresso Whipped cream: Using a blender or mixer beat the cream, sugar, and espresso until stiff peaks form.
- Pour cocoa into mugs and top with whipped cream